Thursday, October 28, 2010

Homeschool Questions

I get so annoyed with the crazy questions that come when I tell people I homeschool my kids.

How do they have friends?

Don't they get tired of being home all the time?

Do you test them?

How do you know they are learning what they are supposed to?

You are going to stop after elementary right?

Do they watch a lot of television?

How do you know how to teach because you are not a teacher?

Don't you get tired of your kids?

Is it legal?

Lucky for all the people that ask the questions I am a smile and be polite kind of girl. One day they are going to ask the wrong homeschool mom these questions and they will be ready to climb in a hole.

Of course one of my favorites is not a question just a sad statement. I could never homeschool my kids and I couldn't wait to send them to school. Am I the only one that thinks that statement is so very sad?

I believe with all my heart that God has called my family to homeschool. He has equipped us with everything we need for this journey.

I keep this scripture on our refrigerator as a reminder of why we homeschool.

Deuteronomy 6:5-9
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.

1 comment:

S, E, or O said...

This is a great post, and I am right there with you! I think it's sad that parents are happy to send their kids off to school. I enjoy being with my kids, and homeschooling works good for us. It's one of those things that God calls some of us parents to do, and the fulfillment is in obeying the call! I get irritated with all of the questions, too. Every time my MIL visits, she asks all kinds of questions about the girls' school work. It makes my blood boil. Yep, we are legal, yes my kids' test scores are out of this world (good); yes, we follow a curriculum, and yes, my kids socialize with other kids their age. :)