Friday, September 3, 2010

Art



A few years ago I was talking about homeschooling and I had someone tell me the one thing they feared the most was art.

Art? Really?

I am scared I am not going to be able to teach them to read and you are talking about art. We won't talk about the bright and shiny art curriculum I have bought......I guess maybe deep down I was a little worried about art too. So far I have not used that wonderful art curriculum. We have just done art as part of our life. Draw a picture of what I just read, what do you see outside......you get the point.

Recently we took the kids to the NC Museum of Art. We said going in that when they got bored we were out of there. They never got bored and insisted on seeing every room. They even had me take a picture of a painting so they could try to draw it when they got home. They have asked numerous times to go back so I am sure there will be a field trip soon.

At the homeschool conference this year one of the workshops I went to was about art. The speaker said art is just like learning to play basketball we don't tell our kids the first time they don't make a shot oh well you are not good at basketball so quit. We encourage them to keep trying and we should do the same thing with art. Just because the first drawing they do is terrible does not mean they can't draw. It is just like sports we get them the right equipment and encourage them to keep trying.

I am not afraid of art I have given them the tools and I encourage them each day to make Mommy a new masterpiece.

No comments: